Staining and Sealing Your Woodworking Project is Easier Than You Think!

Many DIYers are happy to paint their projects but freeze when they think about staining it.  Will it look right? Will I ruin it? Where do I start?  Hear is the truth: Staining and sealing your own furniture is easier than painting.  Even if you’ve never attempted to apply stain or apply wipe-on-poly yourself you will get great results if you follow the steps in this Youtube Video.

SEE! So easy only a politician could mess it up!

Here’s the steps and the products I used to finish this Rustic Style Barn Door. 

  1. Always sand your project up to 220 grit: Sand paper I use: Mirka 5-Inch 8-Hole Dustless Hook-and-Loop Sanding Disks
  2. Clean off all the dust with a slightly damp lint free cloth
  3. Apply stain. I like using a brush to get the stain in all the nooks then wipe the extra off with a lint free cloth. The Stain I used on this project is Provincial by Minwax:
  4. 4) Once Dry you will apply a least two coats of Minwax Wipe on Poly, I like Satin:

Now I like to use old based stains and finishes. The results are consistently better than with water based stains and polyurethanes.  If you’re finishing your Wooden Dog Kennel don’t worry once dry it is completely safe.  In fact polyurethane is food safe when fully cured, but I still wouldn’t eat it. Because we’re using oil based products you’ll also want some nitrile gloves and Paint Thinner/Mineral Spirits for clean up.

Here’s a Front Door I refinished following this same process but using exterior grade Spar Urethane.

Not quite up to doing it yourself? Well if you’re in the Brazos Valley Area CONTACT ME and I’ll be happy to help make your home look amazing.

If you have any questions or comments leave them below.

Finished Richard’s Custom Walnut Gun Stock Using Tru-oil

Finally.  This project kept getting pushed back and pushed back again.

I’m happy to say that I’ve reached a milestone in my Custom Savage 111 30-06 build.  This project started with a basic Savage bolt action rifle with a horrible plastic stock, poor trigger, and a cheap Bushnell scope.  I replaced trigger with a Rifle Basix SAV-1 Replacement Trigger, and the scope with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 that I pulled from another rifle.  I’ll be upgrading the scope to a premium quality optic in the future but the Nikon is a great scope for the money.  The stock I painted with Rustoleum Camo Spray Paint to make it bearable until I could find a replacement.

Read more

Restoring and Refinishing an Antique End-Table

My mother brought this end-table for me to refinish.  Originally I was going to paint it red, but I decided I would try to strip all the paint and bring it back to a wood finish.

The table is between 80-100 years old.  It was attacked by the 1970’s and painted “Harvest Gold.”  Here are some before pictures.

Read more

Projects and Goals for 2015

Yes I know you’re supposed to do this post at the first of the year, blah, blah, but I’m doing it now.  The main reason is so that I have an idea of where I’m going for the year.

Screenshot 2015-02-20 14.02.10The Modular Shop is coming along.  I’m still building the cabinets and playing with different layouts using Sketchup.  I’m honestly getting tired of doing the same task every time I go to the shop (which is about 2-3 hours a week).  Like many things this is an issue of delayed gratification.  Once this shop is redone it will function much better, be more organized, and make working on new projects much more enjoyable.

Read more

The Dresser from Ave D: Trash to Treasure

SOLD

This project has been one of the most infuriating projects I’ve done in a long time.

Our small town did a city-wide clean up a few months ago.  If you had something you didn’t want you could put it out on the side of the road and the city would come buy and get it.  That’s how I found this dresser.

Read more

Repairing and Refinishing the Oak Entry Bench

Slide2I love how this project turned out.  Apparently so did others because it sold very quickly, and several people contacted me about it.  When I got it the mirror was long gone, and the seat was broken.  The original finish was in good shape  I probably could have just found a mirror and fixed the seat and been done with it in a day.  But to me, it was worth all the work of stripping, sanding, and refinishing.

Read more

Putting an Antique Finish on an Old Mirror

Over the weekend my wife and I took an old wood framed mirror and did an aged chalk paint finish.  This mirror is part of an old dresser that was in our house when we moved in.  We re-purposed the dresser for our car-port entry way with one of the two mirrors on the wall.  The other mirror sat in our store-room for over a year.  After we redid our bathroom and the drywall in the hallway we decided to put an antique finish on the extra mirror using chalk paint. Below is the video of how we did it.

Read more

%d bloggers like this: